Even though the final book in The Mortal Instruments series is yet to be released, it seems that author Cassandra Clare is keen to keep writing about the shadow hunters.
After City of Heavenly Fire is released May 27, Clare will be working on three series simultaneously: The Dark Artifices (the sequel to The Mortal Instruments), The Last Hours (the sequel to prequel series Infernal Devices), and Magisterium (a pentology she is co-authoring with Holly Black, set outside the Shadowhunter World.)
Hypable has given us a list of titles and rough release dates:
- Magisterium 1: The Iron Trial (September 2014)
- TDA 1: Lady Midnight (2015)
- Magisterium 2 (Late 2015)
- TDA 2: Prince of Shadows (2016)
- TLH 1 (late 2016/early 2017) – Clare said she plans to release this and Prince of Shadows “quite close together,” but her publisher said it does not expect this until 2017.
- Magisterium 3 (2017)
- TLH 2 (2018)
- Magisterium 4 (2018)
- TDA 3: The Queen of Air and Darkness (2019)
- Magisterium 5 (2019)
- TLH 3 (2020)
Clare also revealed last week that the fifth (and allegedly last) Shadowhunter series will be titled The Wicked Powers. The title comes from a children’s poem in the Shadowhunter universe, “And bronze to summon wicked powers.” The poem was released as a snippet from the upcoming City of Heavenly Fire. The series will be set three years after The Dark Artifices, and will be focused on two of the younger Blackthorns (a Shadowhunter family to be introduced in TDA). If the above schedule holds, The Wicked Powers could start getting published in 2020.